SupplementSource.ca and Muscle Insider Review:
OPTIMUM NUTRITION GOLD STANDARD 100% WHEY
For the full review check out the video below:
Most consumers look for 1 thing in a protein powder and it boils down to either cost or taste. These are important factors but shouldn’t be the main focus when purchasing protein. Some areas to review should be:
- Macros – when looking for a protein supplement look for low carb, low fat and high protein. By meeting that criteria, you are automatically get low calories.
- Isolate – should be the 1st in the component in the ingredient list
- % of protein – derived by dividing grams of protein into the scoop size then multiply that number by 100 – should 75%+
Optimum is the industry leader in whey protein. They own their own facilities (Glanbia is the parent company) and even own the farms and cows that the whey is derived from. ON Gold Standard 100% Whey is the #1 protein in the US. Consumers need to understand that being the big dog really means you have to up your game. Being at the top means you will be first company to have product and facilities inspected. Dan mentioned he knew of no infractions made against ON unlike other protein/supplement suppliers. This fact alone should be evidence to the true quality of ON’s products.
A common question consumers ask is how much protein does an athlete actually need. Dan reveals that with his competitive clients he starts at 1g per lb of bodyweight and adjust accordingly. There are no issues with higher protein intake unless a person had pre-existing kidney issues.
Popularity of the Protein Category
Protein powder is a very popular product at SupplementSource.ca. Their primary goal is to provide many different options to their customers. Many categories such as fat burners and pre-workouts decreased in sales due to the Covid pandemic, but protein sales were pretty consistent and didn’t see as much of a decrease as other categories.
The benefits of the different versions of Whey Concentrate vs. Whey Isolate vs. Blends should be considered. Isolates are processed more to ensure they are easier and faster to digest. There is also less lactose in an Isolate. Canada still is Isolate dominant. This is a carryover from the 2000’s low carb craze and hasn’t seemed to slow. But ON Gold Standard 100% Whey is a blend (Isolate heavy) that has stood the test of time and still remains a top seller in Canada. This could be due to the US influence but more likely due to being a quality product.
Price is important but consumers can’t always shop on price. Buyers want a good deal which is why they shop at SupplementSource.ca but they want quality products. The simple fact is you can’t budget body build. As mentioned earlier consumers should not consider only price when purchasing a protein.
SupplementSource.ca prides themselves on great prices but also great quality. They are not driven by the traditional brick and mortar margin model. SupplementSource.ca gets offered very cheap inferior products everyday but they always get rejected.
To get the cost of protein down unscrupulous manufacturers will spike their protein with cheap amino acids. What does this mean? Typically, a manufacturer will take a low grade concentrate and add low cost amino acids (Glycine, Taurine, Creatine and Glutamine). Testing procedures focus on the nitrogen content and because both protein and aminos have nitrogen the tests can’t distinguish between the two. It is interesting to note that an amino such as 1g of Glycine will test out as 1g of protein but 1g of Creatine tests out as 2g of protein! Scott also revealed how to tell if your chocolate protein power is spiked – you’ll have to watch the video to see that!
ON Gold Standard 100% Whey
Here are some key point discussed:
- Background on Glanbia and Optimum Nutrition.
- #1 selling whey protein in the world. Sold in over 100 countries.
- In sports nutrition for over 30 years.
- In 2008, ON got acquired by Glanbia for $315 MM
- Glanbia is one of 4 companies that supply most of the whey protein to the world!
- Vertically integrated by buying ON
- His thoughts when he first tried ON Gold Standard 100% Whey.
- They now have 20 flavours globally and SupplementSource.ca carries 6 of the top selling flavours in 5lb tubs.
- Currently SupplementSource.ca has ON Gold Standard 100% Whey on sale for only $79.97 and that they currently are running free shaker with every 5 lb ON Gold Standard 100% Whey purchased!
Gold Standard 100% Whey Under the Microscope
Typical macros for this protein are:
PROTEIN 24 g
CARBS 4 g
SUGARS 1 g
FAT 1 g
EAAs 11 g
BCAAs 5.5 g
It is interesting to note that ON calls out the EAAs and BCAAs on the label!
Some Product Highlights Include
- Whey Isolate, Whey Concentrate, Whey Peptides
- 31 GRAMS POWDER = 77% (protein by weight)
- INFORMED CHOICE TESTED
- Digestive Enzyme (Lactase)
- No artificial Growth Hormones
- Tested for over 200 banned substances
- Test off the assembly line and also off the store shelves
Check out the video for Dan and Scott’s thoughts on ON Gold Standard 100% Whey Vanilla and Double Rich Chocolate during a live taste test.
Any good review should always include a delicious recipe.
ON Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Fudgsicles
1 scoop ON Gold Standard 100% Whey – Extreme Milk Chocolate
½ tsp Xanthan Gum
1 tbsp cocoa
¾ cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened Chocolate
Blend all ingredients until they have reached a pudding consistency. Pour or scoop out into popsicle molds. Let set in freezer until frozen. Enjoy!
Overall, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey is an industry leader. This #1 selling protein should be at the top of any serious athlete looking to up their game!
You can grab a tub at SupplementSource.ca